Chemistry of Alkaline Earth Metals
Elements belonging to 2nd group in periodic table are called alkaline earth metals.
General characterstics of Alkaline Earth Metals:-
- Alkaline earth metals are silvery white in colour, lustrous and relatively soft.
- They are strongly electropositive in nature.
- These elements have 2 electrons in their valence shell. There general electronic configuration is [Noble Gas] ns2.
- Expect Be and Mg, all alkaline earth metals impart characteristics colour to the flame
- They have high electrical and thermal conductivity.
- They exhibit a valency of +2 as they can lose 2 electrons and forms bivalent ions.
- Chemically they are very reactive but their reactivity is less than alkali metals.
- They are strong reducing agents.
- They have good tendency to form complexes.
- Their atomic and ionic radii are smaller than the corresponding members of the alkali metals.
- Their ionization enthalpies have higher value as compared to those of Group-1 because they have smaller size. However, down the group their ionization enthalpy decreases.
- Their melting and boiling points are higher than corresponding alkali metals in the same period due to small size.